Sunday 22 May 2011

San Joaquin

Saturday morning we hopped a bus and headed west to a small village called San Joaquin, in search of the rumored golf course. It was a very tiny place and we stayed on the bus as it headed back to Cuenca. We circled the town square and turned back towards town. As we came back to the main road, Doug asked the bus driver ( in a mix of Spanglish and pantomime) if there was "golfito" near by. The driver pointed off down a country road and off the bus we jumped at the intersection of " no where" and "any where". As we watched the bus drive off, I must admit, I did have one of my panic moments. Doug assured me that the driver had told him it was a half a kilometer down the road so off we went. It was a gorgeous day for a walk in the country.





About a half a kilometer down the road, we came across a Gringo, ( who by the way, had been in the same restaraunts we were in for the past two nights) headed the opposite direction from us. He said the golf course was right down the road, about a hlf kilometer. hmmmmmmmmmmmm....Hadn't I heard that before?
We continued our walk and sure enough..............



We were not allowed to go beyond the gates, as it is a members course, and there was no management around because it was the weekend. We hung around out side the fence and watched the golfers for a little while and then began our trek back to the main road. it was a great walk.

We got back to Cuenca about 1:00 decided to try Chinese food for a light lunch as we were going to meet friends for dinner. Once again, I say, I haven't had a meal in Ecuador that I didn't like.

We spent the afternoon up on the roof top terrace watching a student march of some sorts paradeing down the boulavard. I don't know what it was about, other than it was something to do with education and students rights. There must have been between 3 and 4 thousand people in this march. Hundreds of differnt groups in different colors.






Later we met up with a couple from Vancouver and a Jim,, from Chicago for dinner at a fantastic Italian restraunt. We had a great evening of eating and talking...........am I eating my way thru Ecuador?............
Shelly and Brian were introduced to us by Jim, and have been a fountain of information for us as well as very enjoyable company. We look forward to future times together.

The thought of how little time we have left here saddens me. But, the sooner I leave, the sooner I can return..............




No comments:

Post a Comment