Tuesday 24 May 2011

Bye bye for now, Cuenca..on to the Northern Sierras

We were out of the apartment by 6:45 this morning and now, 13 hours later I am tired and once again stuffed full of dinner.
We almost missed our plane to Quito,dispite the fact we were at the airport almost two hours early. We were chatting away at departure gate lounge for our flight, when a nice English speaking lady mentioned that she thought our flight had moved from gate 1 to gate 3. We looked down thar way and  saw people boarding. We grabbed our bags and dashed to the gate and were the last two to dash up the stairs to the plane. As I said before, God watches over fools and old people.
50 minutes later we were on the ground in Quito. Stored our luggage at thr airport, except fot two days of gear in our back packs for our Otavalo trip. We took a cab to the bus terminal and began the search for which bus line was heading to Otavalo. Luck was with usonce again  and the first person we asked pointed to a bus that was loading and said to hurry and we could make it. Off we dashed once more, and within 10 minutes we were on the road. Two stress free hours later, we were in Otavalo. I love this country!

We checked into our room at Rincon del Valejro and then caught the local bus to Cotocachi. The trip took 15 minutes. We spent the afternoon roaming the streets and browsing the leather shops. I had to keep reminding Doug that he did not need another leather coat. But, I have to admit, the prices were so low and there was a green leather jacket that he should have bought..............maybe tomorrow.
we headed back to Otavola about 4:30, roamed town a bit, had dinner and now it is time to catch up on my sleep.
Tomorrow is the big Otavalo market. I have been waiting this whole trip to buy something so I am due for a shopping spree.
I'll have lots of pics to post.
Otavalo is much bigger than I had expected.it is also 2000 feet higher than Cuenca and i am suffering from the thin air...........hopefully a good nights sleep will cure me.
Sweet dreams all

No comments:

Post a Comment