Thursday 10 May 2012

Time goes so fast.............

We have been in Cuenca for three weeks. Somtimes it seems like we have been here for months, but other times I wonder where the time went.
Yesterday we found a 3 month rental to stay in untill our permanent place is ready.
We lucked into a penthouse in a 6 story building. It has 3 bedrooms, beautiful views of the city, and is across the street from the Tomebamba River with green space for Pete.
It's only downside is that it is on the top floor and has no elevator......
It is fully furnished, so all we have to get up the stairs is our suitcases.

It seems like everyday we are busy from breakfast to dinner.

Yesterday we left the hotel at 10:30 and didn't get home until 5:30.
We took Pete with us and walked to a place we had heard of that boards dogs. Hostel de los Perros. A great place with charming hosts.
Hazel and Wally invited us into thier home and we spent a bit of time chatting. I am quite relieved to know that Pete will be in such good hands when we go to Quito next week.
Afterwards, we walked down las Americas and wound our way home. We stopped for an early dinner at Cafe Mocha. A nice little place that allows Dogs. Pete was in heaven sitting in his own chair at the table.
When we finaly got home, Pete was exhausted and slept untill 8 this morning.

Now that we have our rentals lined up we will soon be able to relax.
Just have to get the trip to Quito done next week and then move from the hotel.
I look forward to the day when we don't have something scheduled!

Today we went to Banos thermal pools to soak in the mineral waters for a bit. My back is really benifitting from this. We try to go once a week, but after the move hope to go twice a week.
Doug had his Spanish class this afternoon and Pete and I walked up to the market for Prawns and salad makings.
Dinner will be awesome tonight!

Tomorrow we have an 11:30 appointment to finalize the penthouse lease and then we are going to go furniture gawking at a four floor furniture store we found yesterday.
Should be fun.

We are hoping for nice weather Saturday so we can pack a picnic and go back to the big park we found last week end.

Fire flies have started showing up at night. I think that's a good sign.

Love to all the family............looking forward to the time when you come to visit us in our new home.

Life is good.





2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am curious about you venturing out alone with your dog. Another blogger said that she never goes anywhere without her husband or sons, but that would really hinder me since I like to walk my dog every day and don't always want to lug my husband with me. Have you felt safe walking to the market alone with your dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always walk in well poulated places and there are some places I would not walk alone.
    We chose the area we are in because of it's close proximity to EL Centro.
    When we first got here, I would not have gone by myself, but after several trips with hubby, I feel safe on my own in certain areas.

    I would not be out after 5:00 on my own.By 6 pm it is dark here.
    I never carry anything with me that can't fit in my pocket, and only enough money to do what I need to do.
    I carry a bus pass seperate from my money. Remember, 2.00 can get you a cab ride anywhere.
    I don't talk to strangers, but always acnkowledge the Shop keepers and the neighbors.
    I have a pepper spray I keep in my pocket. Only once, when I was with my hubby, at night, did I feel like I needed it in my hand.
    Use common sesne and trust your instincts.
    Don't get distracted. Petty thefts usually occur by people working as teams. One distracts while the other grabs your belongings.
    I also wear a police whistle around my neck, and know how to yell Help me and theif in Spanish.
    We have only been here a month, so I am not the voice of experience, I can only tell you how I feel, and the experiences I have had.People who have been here longer may have an entirely differnt view on this topics. I am trying not to beome complacent, but I also don't want to be afraid of living my life.

    ReplyDelete